Monday 20 May 2013

Critical Reflection


Developing lines of Profession Inquiry.
Reflecting upon where I stood in my journey at the beginning of Module 2, I had started to develop some understanding as to what I wanted my line of inquiry to be but I hadn't fully grasped what it would take to arrive at this point. This has been such a long journey for me and I had been in this place before,  a positive point I could take away from having reached this place almost a year earlier, was that I already had a basis and a sketchy idea of where I wanted to go with my line of professional inquiry. (Appendix 1)
 A negative I can now reflect upon and learn from, was the inability to develop my idea through blogging and use of SIGs and allow others to form opinions and give me feedback, this which could of been of crucial assistance to the development of my line of inquiry.
When starting out on the Bapp, I was confused and not sure where I wanted to take it. I wasn't thinking of myself, my own practices and how the course would develop me as a practitioner. I originally chose a line of inquiry that was to vast, not directly associated or relevant to myself. My proposed award title was BA (Hons) Professional Practice Community dance development.(Appendix 2)
 Reflecting back, I don’t believe my initial thoughts were wrong as overtime I have grown and my original thoughts have not been terminated only developed. I was focused on wanting to build an inquiry around creating a new syllabus for street dance within a community dance setting, that I completely overlooked the basics. (Appendix 3)
 How could I think of developing something such as this, when I didn't have a full understanding of what community dance actually was, I hadn't observed or researched the background or its teaching practices and more importantly I hadn't analyzed my own teaching practices or thought about who would benefit from my inquiry. My new proposed award Title is BA (Hons) Professional Practice in Community Dance Teaching. (Appendix 4)


Professional Ethics
I found Professional Ethics a hard subject to tackle, mainly because I didn't have a great understanding of what ethics actually are and how I would be responsible for following a code of ethics. Upon reflection, as a freelance dance teacher, I had always worked to a code of ethics as it provides the guidelines to good professional practice. I can now use ethics within my inquiry, to provide me with a guideline of how it should be carried out and what should be considered. An example of Ethics considered will be how to ensure the research method is appropriate and ensuring my findings are presented accurately and truthfully. (Appendix 5)

Tools of Professional Inquiry

I discovered that interviewing would be the most effective inquiry tool, allowing me to take control of the information gathered from the practitioner. Although I reflected greatly on a survey as a great inquiry tool, I do not think it will be appropriate for this line of inquiry, (Appendix 6). The questions are like a guide but the practitioners answers often lead onto questions that may not have been thought of previously giving a broader scope of knowledge that can be taken and analysed.(Appendix 7)

No comments:

Post a Comment